Umberto Eco dan fiksi

Lila Azam Zanganeh dari The Paris Review mewawancarai Umberto Eco, seorang sastrawan dan penulis Italia, mengenai karya dan proses kretivitasnya. Berikut salah satu petikan wawancaranya:

INTERVIEWER

What is the secret of such prolific production? You have written prodigious quantities of scholarly work, and your five novels are not exactly short.

ECO

I always say that I am able to use the interstices. There is a lot of space between atom and atom and electron and electron, and if we reduced the matter of the universe by eliminating all the space in between, the entire universe would be compressed into a ball. Our lives are full of interstices. This morning you rang, but then you had to wait for the elevator, and several seconds elapsed before you showed up at the door. During those seconds, waiting for you, I was thinking of this new piece I’m writing. I can work in the water closet, in the train. While swimming I produce a lot of things, especially in the sea. Less so in the bathtub, but there too.

Baca artikel lengkapnya di: Umberto Eco, The Art of Fiction No. 197.

Komentar